It’s been a while, but I’ve got another interesting project! For my specialization in the class project, I’ve chosen to do modeling. What I’ve been thinking of doing is a tree house, so yesterday (which was day 1 of this project) I spent looking up at different concept art of tree houses. I’d also written some sort of checklist for things I need to do to pass / to excel (attached below)
Almost there guys! Day 1 I had to quickly re-texture the Paint tube because it didn’t quite line up to the model. The UVs were a bit stretched as well.
Day 2 I began playing with render settings and finishing up and update pre production work (I had some missing information and basically had to redo and update things) Also did a cool thing with my teacher where we put my canvas on a lazy susan and took photos of it from different directions. Seeing as I couldn’t sculpt my canvas exactly how it really was, there was an article we read about “Photometric Stereo” (Do check it out!)
We placed a light on one side and took photos so the light would capture the tiny little bumps on my canvas differently. We put the photos we thought were good onto photoshop and basically recreated a normal map! It wasn’t as hard as I’d originally thought it’d be and it’s as close as I could get it to the actual bumps on the canvas.
And now I’m here on Day 3 rendering out settings and putting in the final touches to my Pre Production document. This is what it looks like so far! You can actually see the weave of the canvas on the normal map.
Article about Photometric Stereo:
Today another late night spent in class till around 10 pm-11 pm trying to get the diffuse and bumps right. I sculpted the canvas a little, scanned the painting and made two separate documents. One for the diffuse and one for bump which I had to make grey out and play with the levels on Photoshop. I also played with the levels and saturation for the diffuse on Photoshop.
It was a very artsy day today with all the painting on Mari and such and playing around on substance painter. I got it quite close to the still life photo as well but there’s still some things I need to go back and redo (such as the tiny paint blob I did on the paintbrush manually, it’s bigger than the one in the photo…)
Hey guys! So yesterday I stayed in class till a bit past 11 pm trying to quickly render out one frame to hand in for tomorrow’s class. I basically had to make sure the lights were the same as well as all the models were finished (except for the minor details for sculpting).
Had some feedback from my teacher when I handed in my retry (I redid the render really quickly and handed a snapshot of it in cause I wasn’t happy with the lighting on the first render)
- Shadows need to be worked on
Above is the real still life shot I’d taken in the green screen room, and to the top right corner is the 3D model (and lighting) scene. I’ve also included the wire frame for the objects.
Since it’s easter weekend I’ll be having a break from this for one day and then back to work! I’ve gotta start UVing/ sculpting. I could also probably put on some preset shaders…
Hey guys! Sorry for not uploading in a while, I’ve been really sick lately but I’m recovering now.
It’s been really busy in class recently because of the assignment we’re currently going through. Brief description down below.
- With the team, each member is to help set up, light and photograph the scenes. Then recreate the still life composition in 3D.
- 4 weeks.
It’s been a week since I’ve started, and I thought I’d only start posting on here when I get to the 3D modeling stage. All the pre-production I’ve done, I’ve posted elsewhere.
I’m a bit behind everyone else (being bed-ridden for two days), I still haven’t created my final still life composition and taken the pic but I have taken photos from my phone on different composition ideas with the objects I’ve decided to use.
- Contrasting Themes (E.g modern vs traditional, soft vs hard, etc. )
I’ve chosen modern vs traditional, using Technology (the IPad Pro) and traditional, the painted canvas and paint brushes. I’ve already modeled the Apple Pencil and the IPad Pro 9″7. I’ve still got the canvas, paintbrush, paint and possibly if I have time, the paint splurges to go. I’ve also done a quick painting on Procreate to feature on my IPad when I texture it. (the one used on the IPad compositions was just a filler)
This week’s objective is learning about lighting, shading and rendering and today we learnt a bit about Renderman. Renderman is a 3D rendering engine created by Pixar and today, our task was to create five objects of different material.
The first time I’d done it I’d receive critique at the end (gave us around two hours to hand in).
- Less light and the shadows are a bit sharp.
- The egg has more subsurface.
- Leather is too opaque (a bit flat looking) + specular highlight.
- The bump on the wood can be increased.
- Cloth’s bump can also be increased on surface.
So I worked on these things and (hopefully) there’s a bit of improvement. Here’s a before and after picture of my five material objects.
(Before: left || After: right)
Note: click on the image to have a closer look!
Yesterday’s lesson I had received some critique and was told that the cheeks of my last character ( Michael Fassbender) wasn’t really there (I didn’t realize this but the cheeks were quite flat). I also had to work on the shape of the head ( from the side profile) it was too close to a shape and I had to make it look more natural. So today’s lesson I tried working more on getting these things right, on to a new reference model (Cara Delevigne).
- Pull the eyes back a bit.
- Have more faceting and smoothing on the cheeks to make them more angular.
- Turn off symmetry (woops! Forgot to turn that off while doing the nose). Cara’s nose isn’t straight and goes more to one direction rather than straight down the middle.