Tag: 3d graphics

Modelling Project Day 25-26

Hey guys! These past two days I just caught up with my modelling and did some work on my research essay. Just started rendering today (day 26) and I’m giving Keyshot software a go. Ran into a problem with Maya software unable to receive my obj. of my treant because of its really hi-poly, so I was told by a friend to give keyshot a go. I’m able to use it on my laptop and render out my 360 turntable for my model and I’m really looking forward to when I’ll be getting it done. For now I’m just working on my essay seeing as there’s no better time while my model is rendering on my laptop.

rendering.JPG

Advertisements

Modelling Project Day 12

Today was Milestone 2 and I basically had to present what I’ve been up to and how things have been going, get some feedback from my classmates and teacher.

my feedback:

Face is more cartoon-y than the concept I had originally drawn up

Concept

Face was a bit too symmetrical

Face profile was a bit off, I need to bring the brow ridge a bit further out like in the concept I had drawn.

My teacher suggested for me to look at old gentlemen’s faces for reference and I found one that I thought was good. I really like his friendly smile, kind eyes, and the wrinkles on his face.

oldmanreference.jpg

For the branches I need to try make them flow upwards more instead of going out from the base making it look janky.

Also need to keep in mind I need to steer clear of having my character look like Groot (Guardians of the Galaxy) or tree beard (Lord of the Rings)

I’ll be working on these in the next few days and hopefully be able to keep on track.

Modelling Project Day 10

Just started sculpting from a sphere. Didn’t realize I could just sculpt from the beginning until my classmates told me. I would have wasted a week trying to get a base mesh and retopologizing on Maya. Problem: wasting time doing base mesh

Solved: suggestion from classmate to just do it from zBrush

Feedback

“Not much I can critique on but your getting most base forms looking good.”

 

 

WIP Rendering: Day 1-3

Almost there guys! Day 1 I had to quickly re-texture the Paint tube because it didn’t quite line up to the model. TheĀ UVs were a bit stretched as well.

Day 2 I began playing with render settings and finishing up and update pre production work (I had some missing information and basically had to redo and update things) Also did a cool thing with my teacher where we put my canvas on a lazy susan and took photos of it from different directions. Seeing as I couldn’t sculpt my canvas exactly how it really was, there was an article we read about “Photometric Stereo” (Do check it out!)

We placed a light on one side and took photos so the light would capture the tiny little bumps on my canvas differently. We put the photos we thought were good onto photoshop and basically recreated a normal map! It wasn’t as hard as I’d originally thought it’d be and it’s as close as I could get it to the actual bumps on the canvas.

And now I’m here on Day 3 rendering out settings and putting in the final touches to my Pre Production document. This is what it looks like so far! You can actually see the weave of the canvas on the normal map.

Article about Photometric Stereo:

http://dabarti.com/vfx/capturing-very-detailed-normal-maps-using-photometric-stereo-rd/

 

with normal map.JPG

WIP StillLife: Day 3-4

WIP StillLife: Day 3-4

Hey guys! So yesterday I stayed in class till a bit past 11 pm trying to quickly render out one frame to hand in for tomorrow’s class. I basically had to make sure the lights were the same as well as all the models were finished (except for the minor details for sculpting).

Had some feedback from my teacher when I handed in my retry (I redid the render really quickly and handed a snapshot of it in cause I wasn’t happy with the lighting on the first render)

The Critique

  • Shadows need to be worked on

Above is the real still life shot I’d taken in the green screen room, and to the top right corner is the 3D model (and lighting) scene. I’ve also included the wire frame for the objects.

Since it’s easter weekend I’ll be having a break from this for one day and then back to work! I’ve gotta start UVing/ sculpting. I could also probably put on some preset shaders…

 

Mari – Painting crates

First day of playing with Mari. The camera is a bit troublesome, trying to get used to handling it but it was similar to Photoshop so that was super helpful with playing with the different layers (multiply, etc). We had about an hour and a half to painting these (it took me around half an hour to find a good image to use for the wood). I was a bit disappointed when I ran out of time to figure out how to make a bump map, but for a first day on Mari I’m happy with the end result.

Critiques:

  1. Possibly add nails on the wood
  2. The sign was a bit weirdly placed (how the Logo was in the middle of the wood and a huge chunk of it in the middle is missing).
  3. Possibly add scratch marks to make it seem older and worn out.

Things to do during self directed learning.