Tag: 3D

WIP Rendering: Day 1-3

Almost there guys! Day 1 I had to quickly re-texture the Paint tube because it didn’t quite line up to the model. The UVs were a bit stretched as well.

Day 2 I began playing with render settings and finishing up and update pre production work (I had some missing information and basically had to redo and update things) Also did a cool thing with my teacher where we put my canvas on a lazy susan and took photos of it from different directions. Seeing as I couldn’t sculpt my canvas exactly how it really was, there was an article we read about “Photometric Stereo” (Do check it out!)

We placed a light on one side and took photos so the light would capture the tiny little bumps on my canvas differently. We put the photos we thought were good onto photoshop and basically recreated a normal map! It wasn’t as hard as I’d originally thought it’d be and it’s as close as I could get it to the actual bumps on the canvas.

And now I’m here on Day 3 rendering out settings and putting in the final touches to my Pre Production document. This is what it looks like so far! You can actually see the weave of the canvas on the normal map.

Article about Photometric Stereo:

http://dabarti.com/vfx/capturing-very-detailed-normal-maps-using-photometric-stereo-rd/

 

with normal map.JPG

WIP Still Life: Texturing Day 6

WIP Still Life: Texturing Day 6

Today another late night spent in class till around 10 pm-11 pm trying to get the diffuse and bumps right. I sculpted the canvas a little, scanned the painting and made two separate documents. One for the diffuse and one for bump which I had to make grey out and play with the levels on Photoshop. I also played with the levels and saturation for the diffuse on Photoshop.

It was a very artsy day today with all the painting on Mari and such and playing around on substance painter. I got it quite close to the still life photo as well but there’s still some things I need to go back and redo (such as the tiny paint blob I did on the paintbrush manually, it’s bigger than the one in the photo…)

ErikaLabilles_ColourRender
3D models
IMG_2285
Still Life image

WIP Still Life: Day 3-4 Texturing

Hey guys! Sorry I couldn’t update yesterday BUT I did end up doing some work during the Easter Holiday.

I textured the Ipad Pro on day 3 using substance Painter but I didn’t know I was going to be able to go about having that glass on top of the actual screen. Later found out from a classmate that I could just use the shaders on Renderman (Pixar Shaders)

Day 4 was about trying to get the other objects as close as I can to the actual photo as well as getting the lighting and shadows down. \

Below is just a snapshot of Day 3 on Substance Painter, and a quick render from Day 4 (using Pxr).

Day 3 Ipad Pro Substance PainterDay 4 Shaders

WIP Still Life: modelling day 2 

So it’s been quite a frustrating day dealing with triangles and 5 sides shapes in my topology.  I’ve sculpted my canvas a little and I’ve done a base of the paint tube included in the picture.  Managed to scan and email myself the painting on the canvas.  I’ll have to pay a lot of attention to the detail on it.  

Also managed to have the green screen room to myself to take photos.  

NOTE: the photos taken aren’t professional,  everything was done by me. 

NOTE TO SELF: I’ll need more light on the right side of the picture,  it’s a bit too dark under the paint tube.  

Renderman – Making different materials

Renderman – Making different materials

This week’s objective is learning about lighting, shading and rendering and today we learnt a bit about Renderman. Renderman is a 3D rendering engine created by Pixar and today, our task was to create five objects of different material.

The first time I’d done it I’d receive critique at the end (gave us around two hours to hand in).

Critique:

  1. Less light and the shadows are a bit sharp.
  2. The egg has more subsurface.
  3. Leather is too opaque (a bit flat looking) + specular highlight.
  4. The bump on the wood can be increased.
  5. Cloth’s bump can also be increased on surface.

So I worked on these things and (hopefully) there’s a bit of improvement. Here’s a before and after picture of my five material objects.

(Before: left || After: right)

Note: click on the image to have a closer look!