Hey guys! These past two days I just caught up with my modelling and did some work on my research essay. Just started rendering today (day 26) and I’m giving Keyshot software a go. Ran into a problem with Maya software unable to receive my obj. of my treant because of its really hi-poly, so I was told by a friend to give keyshot a go. I’m able to use it on my laptop and render out my 360 turntable for my model and I’m really looking forward to when I’ll be getting it done. For now I’m just working on my essay seeing as there’s no better time while my model is rendering on my laptop.
So glad I was able to sculpt more today, I’ll start doing the mushrooms and such tomorrow. I was able to put in some more detail on him as well. Hopefully I can get down to doing his hands and more details on his lower half.
Just started sculpting from a sphere. Didn’t realize I could just sculpt from the beginning until my classmates told me. I would have wasted a week trying to get a base mesh and retopologizing on Maya. Problem: wasting time doing base mesh
Solved: suggestion from classmate to just do it from zBrush
“Not much I can critique on but your getting most base forms looking good.”
Today I did my pre production pitch and I had a missing concept so I had tod raw up what I had in mind. With some minor changes on my treant, it was approved which I was really proud of. I’ll be starting to model the base of my treant today, but I’ll post my concept for now.
Almost there guys! Day 1 I had to quickly re-texture the Paint tube because it didn’t quite line up to the model. The UVs were a bit stretched as well.
Day 2 I began playing with render settings and finishing up and update pre production work (I had some missing information and basically had to redo and update things) Also did a cool thing with my teacher where we put my canvas on a lazy susan and took photos of it from different directions. Seeing as I couldn’t sculpt my canvas exactly how it really was, there was an article we read about “Photometric Stereo” (Do check it out!)
We placed a light on one side and took photos so the light would capture the tiny little bumps on my canvas differently. We put the photos we thought were good onto photoshop and basically recreated a normal map! It wasn’t as hard as I’d originally thought it’d be and it’s as close as I could get it to the actual bumps on the canvas.
And now I’m here on Day 3 rendering out settings and putting in the final touches to my Pre Production document. This is what it looks like so far! You can actually see the weave of the canvas on the normal map.
Article about Photometric Stereo:
So it’s been quite a frustrating day dealing with triangles and 5 sides shapes in my topology. I’ve sculpted my canvas a little and I’ve done a base of the paint tube included in the picture. Managed to scan and email myself the painting on the canvas. I’ll have to pay a lot of attention to the detail on it.
Also managed to have the green screen room to myself to take photos.
NOTE: the photos taken aren’t professional, everything was done by me.
NOTE TO SELF: I’ll need more light on the right side of the picture, it’s a bit too dark under the paint tube.
Yesterday’s lesson I had received some critique and was told that the cheeks of my last character ( Michael Fassbender) wasn’t really there (I didn’t realize this but the cheeks were quite flat). I also had to work on the shape of the head ( from the side profile) it was too close to a shape and I had to make it look more natural. So today’s lesson I tried working more on getting these things right, on to a new reference model (Cara Delevigne).
- Pull the eyes back a bit.
- Have more faceting and smoothing on the cheeks to make them more angular.
- Turn off symmetry (woops! Forgot to turn that off while doing the nose). Cara’s nose isn’t straight and goes more to one direction rather than straight down the middle.