Tag: painting

WIP Rendering: Day 1-3

Almost there guys! Day 1 I had to quickly re-texture the Paint tube because it didn’t quite line up to the model. TheĀ UVs were a bit stretched as well.

Day 2 I began playing with render settings and finishing up and update pre production work (I had some missing information and basically had to redo and update things) Also did a cool thing with my teacher where we put my canvas on a lazy susan and took photos of it from different directions. Seeing as I couldn’t sculpt my canvas exactly how it really was, there was an article we read about “Photometric Stereo” (Do check it out!)

We placed a light on one side and took photos so the light would capture the tiny little bumps on my canvas differently. We put the photos we thought were good onto photoshop and basically recreated a normal map! It wasn’t as hard as I’d originally thought it’d be and it’s as close as I could get it to the actual bumps on the canvas.

And now I’m here on Day 3 rendering out settings and putting in the final touches to my Pre Production document. This is what it looks like so far! You can actually see the weave of the canvas on the normal map.

Article about Photometric Stereo:

http://dabarti.com/vfx/capturing-very-detailed-normal-maps-using-photometric-stereo-rd/

 

with normal map.JPG

WIP Still Life: Texturing Day 6

WIP Still Life: Texturing Day 6

Today another late night spent in class till around 10 pm-11 pm trying to get the diffuse and bumps right. I sculpted the canvas a little, scanned the painting and made two separate documents. One for the diffuse and one for bump which I had to make grey out and play with the levels on Photoshop. I also played with the levels and saturation for the diffuse on Photoshop.

It was a very artsy day today with all the painting on Mari and such and playing around on substance painter. I got it quite close to the still life photo as well but there’s still some things I need to go back and redo (such as the tiny paint blob I did on the paintbrush manually, it’s bigger than the one in the photo…)

ErikaLabilles_ColourRender
3D models
IMG_2285
Still Life image

WIP Still Life

Hey guys! Sorry for not uploading in a while, I’ve been really sick lately but I’m recovering now.

It’s been really busy in class recently because of the assignment we’re currently going through. Brief description down below.

STILL LIFE

The Job

  • With the team, each member is to help set up, light and photograph the scenes. Then recreate the still life composition in 3D.

Time given

  • 4 weeks.

It’s been a week since I’ve started, and I thought I’d only start posting on here when I get to the 3D modeling stage. All the pre-production I’ve done, I’ve posted elsewhere.

I’m a bit behind everyone else (being bed-ridden for two days), I still haven’t created my final still life composition and taken the pic but I have taken photos from my phone on different composition ideas with the objects I’ve decided to use.

The Theme 

  • Contrasting Themes (E.g modern vs traditional, soft vs hard, etc. )

I’ve chosen modern vs traditional, using Technology (the IPad Pro) and traditional, the painted canvas and paint brushes. I’ve already modeled the Apple Pencil and the IPad Pro 9″7. I’ve still got the canvas, paintbrush, paint and possibly if I have time, the paint splurges to go. I’ve also done a quick painting on Procreate to feature on my IPad when I texture it. (the one used on the IPad compositions was just a filler)

Substance Painter – Giving character

Had fun texturing this guy on Substance Painter. Played around with some cool particle brushes that I didn’t know was there today. I tried giving character while texturing. Originally this guy looked a bit dangerous but I added the colors, the scratched in name and smile to give this guy some personality. Quite liked this.

Critique:

  1. the green paint on the side is a bit dented into the surface, should be brought out a bit (like paint). Can’t quite make out what it is so might have to bring that out.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Mari – Painting crates

First day of playing with Mari. The camera is a bit troublesome, trying to get used to handling it but it was similar to Photoshop so that was super helpful with playing with the different layers (multiply, etc). We had about an hour and a half to painting these (it took me around half an hour to find a good image to use for the wood). I was a bit disappointed when I ran out of time to figure out how to make a bump map, but for a first day on Mari I’m happy with the end result.

Critiques:

  1. Possibly add nails on the wood
  2. The sign was a bit weirdly placed (how the Logo was in the middle of the wood and a huge chunk of it in the middle is missing).
  3. Possibly add scratch marks to make it seem older and worn out.

Things to do during self directed learning.