Today I did my pre production pitch and I had a missing concept so I had tod raw up what I had in mind. With some minor changes on my treant, it was approved which I was really proud of. I’ll be starting to model the base of my treant today, but I’ll post my concept for now.
Today another late night spent in class till around 10 pm-11 pm trying to get the diffuse and bumps right. I sculpted the canvas a little, scanned the painting and made two separate documents. One for the diffuse and one for bump which I had to make grey out and play with the levels on Photoshop. I also played with the levels and saturation for the diffuse on Photoshop.
It was a very artsy day today with all the painting on Mari and such and playing around on substance painter. I got it quite close to the still life photo as well but there’s still some things I need to go back and redo (such as the tiny paint blob I did on the paintbrush manually, it’s bigger than the one in the photo…)
Hey guys! Sorry I couldn’t update yesterday BUT I did end up doing some work during the Easter Holiday.
I textured the Ipad Pro on day 3 using substance Painter but I didn’t know I was going to be able to go about having that glass on top of the actual screen. Later found out from a classmate that I could just use the shaders on Renderman (Pixar Shaders)
Day 4 was about trying to get the other objects as close as I can to the actual photo as well as getting the lighting and shadows down. \
Below is just a snapshot of Day 3 on Substance Painter, and a quick render from Day 4 (using Pxr).
Hey guys! So yesterday I stayed in class till a bit past 11 pm trying to quickly render out one frame to hand in for tomorrow’s class. I basically had to make sure the lights were the same as well as all the models were finished (except for the minor details for sculpting).
Had some feedback from my teacher when I handed in my retry (I redid the render really quickly and handed a snapshot of it in cause I wasn’t happy with the lighting on the first render)
- Shadows need to be worked on
Above is the real still life shot I’d taken in the green screen room, and to the top right corner is the 3D model (and lighting) scene. I’ve also included the wire frame for the objects.
Since it’s easter weekend I’ll be having a break from this for one day and then back to work! I’ve gotta start UVing/ sculpting. I could also probably put on some preset shaders…
This week’s objective is learning about lighting, shading and rendering and today we learnt a bit about Renderman. Renderman is a 3D rendering engine created by Pixar and today, our task was to create five objects of different material.
The first time I’d done it I’d receive critique at the end (gave us around two hours to hand in).
- Less light and the shadows are a bit sharp.
- The egg has more subsurface.
- Leather is too opaque (a bit flat looking) + specular highlight.
- The bump on the wood can be increased.
- Cloth’s bump can also be increased on surface.
So I worked on these things and (hopefully) there’s a bit of improvement. Here’s a before and after picture of my five material objects.
(Before: left || After: right)
Note: click on the image to have a closer look!
First day of playing with Mari. The camera is a bit troublesome, trying to get used to handling it but it was similar to Photoshop so that was super helpful with playing with the different layers (multiply, etc). We had about an hour and a half to painting these (it took me around half an hour to find a good image to use for the wood). I was a bit disappointed when I ran out of time to figure out how to make a bump map, but for a first day on Mari I’m happy with the end result.
- Possibly add nails on the wood
- The sign was a bit weirdly placed (how the Logo was in the middle of the wood and a huge chunk of it in the middle is missing).
- Possibly add scratch marks to make it seem older and worn out.
Things to do during self directed learning.