WIP Rendering: Day 1-3

Almost there guys! Day 1 I had to quickly re-texture the Paint tube because it didn’t quite line up to the model. The UVs were a bit stretched as well.

Day 2 I began playing with render settings and finishing up and update pre production work (I had some missing information and basically had to redo and update things) Also did a cool thing with my teacher where we put my canvas on a lazy susan and took photos of it from different directions. Seeing as I couldn’t sculpt my canvas exactly how it really was, there was an article we read about “Photometric Stereo” (Do check it out!)

We placed a light on one side and took photos so the light would capture the tiny little bumps on my canvas differently. We put the photos we thought were good onto photoshop and basically recreated a normal map! It wasn’t as hard as I’d originally thought it’d be and it’s as close as I could get it to the actual bumps on the canvas.

And now I’m here on Day 3 rendering out settings and putting in the final touches to my Pre Production document. This is what it looks like so far! You can actually see the weave of the canvas on the normal map.

Article about Photometric Stereo:

http://dabarti.com/vfx/capturing-very-detailed-normal-maps-using-photometric-stereo-rd/

 

with normal map.JPG

WIP Still Life: Texturing Day 6

WIP Still Life: Texturing Day 6

Today another late night spent in class till around 10 pm-11 pm trying to get the diffuse and bumps right. I sculpted the canvas a little, scanned the painting and made two separate documents. One for the diffuse and one for bump which I had to make grey out and play with the levels on Photoshop. I also played with the levels and saturation for the diffuse on Photoshop.

It was a very artsy day today with all the painting on Mari and such and playing around on substance painter. I got it quite close to the still life photo as well but there’s still some things I need to go back and redo (such as the tiny paint blob I did on the paintbrush manually, it’s bigger than the one in the photo…)

ErikaLabilles_ColourRender
3D models
IMG_2285
Still Life image

WIP Still Life: Texturing Day 5

Did some cool scanning in the printer room and tried putting it the paint tube on the to texture uv in Mari, definitely had to do some manual painting as the printer wasn’t able to give me good scans but I did the best I could with what I had and this is the output.

Day 5

WIP Still Life: Day 3-4 Texturing

Hey guys! Sorry I couldn’t update yesterday BUT I did end up doing some work during the Easter Holiday.

I textured the Ipad Pro on day 3 using substance Painter but I didn’t know I was going to be able to go about having that glass on top of the actual screen. Later found out from a classmate that I could just use the shaders on Renderman (Pixar Shaders)

Day 4 was about trying to get the other objects as close as I can to the actual photo as well as getting the lighting and shadows down. \

Below is just a snapshot of Day 3 on Substance Painter, and a quick render from Day 4 (using Pxr).

Day 3 Ipad Pro Substance PainterDay 4 Shaders

WIP Still Life Day 7

Today I played around with presets and tried putting a mesh light (got this idea from a classmate when I asked) on the screen area of the Ipad Pro. I connected a file to the color of the mesh light. I’ll continue this tomorrow. Day 2 Ipad Pro Presets and light.JPG

WIP StillLife: Day 3-4

WIP StillLife: Day 3-4

Hey guys! So yesterday I stayed in class till a bit past 11 pm trying to quickly render out one frame to hand in for tomorrow’s class. I basically had to make sure the lights were the same as well as all the models were finished (except for the minor details for sculpting).

Had some feedback from my teacher when I handed in my retry (I redid the render really quickly and handed a snapshot of it in cause I wasn’t happy with the lighting on the first render)

The Critique

  • Shadows need to be worked on

Above is the real still life shot I’d taken in the green screen room, and to the top right corner is the 3D model (and lighting) scene. I’ve also included the wire frame for the objects.

Since it’s easter weekend I’ll be having a break from this for one day and then back to work! I’ve gotta start UVing/ sculpting. I could also probably put on some preset shaders…